Hoosier Park race track is one of the Midwest's premier horse racing venues. This Anderson, Indiana facility has a 7/8 mile horse track that features thoroughbred, harness and quarter horse racing.
Hoosier Park race track hosts high-profile Stakes events every year - a testament to its importance in the Midwest's racing scene. Among these are:
Hoosier Park Race Track Facts
Hoosier Park Race Track Records
|Oakley Bilmac||Randy Tharps||Randy Tharps||Johnson Hill Sr.||09/01/94||1:56.2|
|Belmont Tuxedo||Jack Sustic||Jim Valiante||Marlene Sustic||09/03/94||1:54.3|
|Belmont Tuxedo||Jack Sustic||Jim Valiante||Marlene Sustic||09/17/94||1:54.0|
|Falcon's Fire||Trent Stohler||Trent Stohler||Howard Peterson||10/15/94||1:53.4|
|Broadway Circle||Tim Curtin||Tim Curtin||Kareo & Leonard Stable||10/15/94||1:53.0|
|Thirty G's||Jack Gray Jr.||Jack Gray Jr.||Gray & E. Worley||04/15/95||1:53.0|
|Sundance Sensei||Ken Holliday||Doug Gosney||James Taylor||04/22/95||1:52.0|
|Pacific Rocket||Tony Kerwood||Nat Varty||Heffering, Lohmeyer, Stoddard & Van Kirk||07/08/95||1:50.0|
|Jenna's Beach Boy||Bill Fahy||Joe Holloway||L&L DeVisser||07/06/96||1:49.4|
|Pacific Fella||Cat Manzi||Ed Lohmeyer||Heffering, Stoddard & Lohmeyer||07/11/98||1:48.2|
|5 1/2 Furlongs||Moro Oro||Eddie Martin Jr.||David Norris||09/20/96||1:02.2|
|5 1/2 Furlongs||Chukker Creek||Jon Court||Robert Zahl||11/24/96||1:02.2|
|6 Furlongs||Moro Oro||Eddie Martin Jr.||David Norris||11/16/96||1:07.4|
|One Mile||Vic's Rebel||Mike Morgan||Vicki Riddle||10/13/98||1:33.4|
|1 1/16 Miles||Alydar's Rib||Jon Court||Steve Manley||11/01/96||1:41.0|
|1 9/16 Miles||our Forbes||Sal Gonzales Jr.||Steven Caldwell||11/07/97||2:39.2|
|1 5/8 Miles||Open Space||Patrick Boxie||Billy Adams||11/16/96||2:41.2|
|1 7/8 Miles||Raw New||Terry Thompson||William Bradley||12/01/00||3:16.2|
|Quarter Horse Records|
|Julie Fritz.||Dicky Benton||09/20/03||:16.57|
|330 Yards||Hava Cool Breeze||Troy Crissup||Sheri Loy||10/05/03||:17.88|
|350 Yards||Loyd Gaels Jet||Chad Benjamin||Tom Byassee||10/26/97||:17.34|
|400 Yards||Open With Love||Luke Myles||Tim Williams||10/26/97||:20.17|
|870 Yards||Senor Sal||Jamie Theriot||Nathan Broussard||11/04/01||:46.04|
Hoosier Park Race Track History
- On September 1, Hoosier Park race track opened to a crowd of 7,633. B K Bentley won the very first race. The evening's handle was $406,485.
- On November 12, Hoosier Park race track hosted the $40,000 Dan Patch Invitational. It attracted an impressive field of top horses and was the first race held in Hoosier Park race track that was simulcast to other venues. The race was won by Ready to Rumble with a time of 1:53.1.
- On January 25, Hoosier Park race track opened its first off-track betting facility at 7610 Broadway in Merrillville.
- On April 26, the Park opened an off-track betting facility in Fort Wayne.
- On September 1, Hoosier Park race track celebrated its first anniversary with the introduction of thoroughbred racing. A crowd of 5,283 turned out to see Minnatoga win the first race.
- On October 25, the Park opened another off-track betting facility, this time in downtown Indianapolis.
- On November 17, Hoosier Park race track had its first-ever million dollar evening as $1,085,338 was wagered on its twelve-race card.
- On November 29, the largest trifecta payoff in the history of the track was recorded. The payoff brought $31,775.20 for a $2 ticket.
- On August 22, the inaugural $500,000 Hoosier Cup for three-year-old pacing colts was won by Perfect Art with a time of 1:51.0. The total amount paid for purses that evening was $676,900, establishing a new record.
- On September 12, Hoosier Park race track's all-time winningest jockey, Jon Court, won six races, marking a new record for most wins in one night by a jockey at the track.
- On April 9, Hoosier Park race track's sixth season of harness racing opened to a crowd of 3,635. It was the largest opening for standard bred racing since the 1994 season.
- On October 2, Forty One Carats won the $300,000-added Indiana Derby with the nation's third leading rider, Jorge Chavez, aboard. A crowd of 10,063 was in attendance, the largest crowd in the track's history.
- On May 4, a record handle of $2,029,066 was accumulated for the afternoon and evening cards. This included simulcast wagers for the 128th running of the Kentucky Derby. This also marked the first time the state of Indiana saw single-day handle from all its tracks combined exceed $2 million during harness season.
- On September 21, the richest night in quarter horse racing was held.
It featured the $45,000 QHRAI Stallion Service Auction Futurity,
the $25,000 QHRAI Stallion Service Auction Derby, and the $15,000 Indiana