Great Lakes Downs Race Track
Great Lakes Downs race track is a thoroughbred racing facility in Muskegon, Michigan. It features a five-eighths mile horse track. Live racing typically takes place from April to October.
Only a few years after its opening, Great Lakes Downs race track has already hosted some of the most prestigious stakes events in the state, among them are the Plymouth Stakes; the Muskegon Classic; the Frontier Handicap; the Michigan Sire Stakes; and the Michigan Futurity.
Great Lakes Downs Race Track Facts
- 5/8 mile oval
- Has 1/2 and 7/8 mile chutes
- Width: 80 feet
- Homestretch Length: 580 feet
Great Lakes Downs Race Track Records
|2 fur.||Skirt in the Wind||2||110||:23.2||Jun 22, 1999|
|4 fur.||Dinner Band||4||114||:45.4||May 15, 2001|
|5 1/2 fur.||Deputy Stripe||4||118||1:06||Jul 22, 2002|
|6 fur.||That Gift||5||123||1:13||Jul 3, 2002|
|6 1/2 fur.||Cool Rain Falling||3||114||1:20||Jul 26, 2002|
|7 fur.||Secret Romeo||3||120||1:24.3||Sep 2, 2001|
|1 mile||Secret Romeo||3||120||1:40||Oct 29, 2001|
|1 mile 70 yds||Secret Romeo||2||122||1:49.2||Nov 4, 2000|
|1 1/16 miles||That Monetary||6||115||1:49.2||Aug 27, 2001|
|1 1/8 miles||The Bold Bruiser||4||114||1:54||Oct 28, 2000|
History of Great Lakes Downs Race Track
- Great Lakes Downs race track opened for simulcasting on January 29, 1999.
- Great Lakes Downs race track commenced its first thoroughbred meet on April 23, 1999.
- Great Lakes Downs race track replaced Detroit Race Course on the Michigan racing schedule in 1999. After 49 years, DRC closed its doors at the end of the 1998 season and thoroughbred races were transferred to Great Lakes Downs race track, the site of which was the former Muskegon Race Course that hosted standardbred racing.
- Great Lakes Downs race track was acquired by Magna Entertainment in early 2000.