Bay Meadows Race Track
Bay Meadows race track is a thoroughbred racing facility in San Mateo, California. The facility's size is approximately 90 acres, it has two tracks and features two racing seasons: a spring meet and a fall meet. The spring meet usually runs 55 days between April and June while the fall meet typically runs 50 days between August and November.
Bay Meadows race track is one of the most tradition-laden race tracks in America. It is also the longest continually operating race track in the Golden State.
Major races held by Bay Meadows race track include the El Camino Real Derby, the Bay Meadows race track Handicap, the Bay Meadows race track Breeders' Cup Derby and the $125,000 California Sprint Championship.
The facilities at Bay Meadows race track include a one-mile oval track with 1¼-mile and ¾-mile chutes and a 7/8-mile turf course. MEC acquired the operations of Bay Meadows race track and leased the facility in November 2000.
Bay Meadows Race Track Facts
|Main Track Data
Longden Turf Course
Stable Area Capacity
Total Seating Capacity
Bay Meadows Race Track Records
|4F||0:46 2/5||Ima Dear||2||JG. Burns||Apr 2, 1935|
|4 1/2F||0:50.63||My Jasmine||3||N. Chaves||Aug 13, 1997|
|5F||0:56 3/5||Rathsallah||7||A. Lopez||Mar 23, 1995|
|5 1/2F||1:01.69||Arches Of Gold||5||V. Belvoir||Nov 23, 1994|
|6F||1:07 1/5||Black Jack Road||6||R.D. Hansen||Oct 28, 1990|
|7 1/2F||1:30 2/5||Lookabout||3||D. McCown||Nov 26, 1936|
|1M||1:33 3/5+||Aristocratical*||5||F. Mena||Sep 10, 1983|
|1 1/16M||1:38 2/5++||Hoedown's Day||5||T.M. Chapman||Oct 23, 1983|
|1 1/8M||1:46 1/5||Super Moment||3||F. Toro||Dec 13, 1980|
|1 3/16M||1:52 4/5||Force Of Reason||5||W.M. Winland||Nov 5, 1983|
|1 1/4M||2:00 2/5||Ask Father||7||W. Mahoney||Sep 28, 1968|
|1 1/2M||2:27 3/5||Cattle Creek||3||F. Olivares||Dec 8, 1979|
|1 5/8M||2:43 1/5gd||Rag King||4||T.T. Doocy||Dec 15, 1990|
|Longden Turf Course|
|4 1/2F||0:50.41||Salta's Pride||4||R. Gonzalez||Apr 2, 1935|
|7F||1:24.23||First Flyer||4||N. Chavez||Aug 13, 1997|
|7 1/2F||1:28 4/5||Hegemony||4||D.G. McHargue||Mar 23, 1995|
|1M||1:34 3/5||Position's Best||7||T.T. Doocy||Nov 23, 1994|
|1 1/16M||1:40 1/5||Dreamer||5||R. Baze||Oct 28, 1990|
|1 1/8M||1:45 2/5||Caesour||6||R. Baze||Nov 26, 1936|
|1 3/8M||2:16 2/5||Golden Doc Ray||9||A.L. Diaz||Sep 10, 1983|
|abt.1 3/8M||2:17 1/5||Scruples||4||E. Delahoussaye||Oct 23, 1983|
|1 1/2M||2:31 2/5||Swiss Conviction||4||R. Warren Jr.||Dec 13, 1980|
Major Milestones at Bay Meadows Race Track
- The establishment of Bay Meadows race track by William P. Kyne in 1934 may have been the most important development in shaping the future of San Mateo, California. The tracks became one of the county's greatest attractions. Many celebrities, including entertainment personalities from the southern part of the state, came to watch the races.
- Bay Meadows race track is home to the longest-running stakes event in California - the Bay Meadows Handicap. This race was inaugurated in 1934 and was won by the legendary Seabiscuit in 1937 and 1938.
- Another prominent racing event, the Bay Meadows Derby for 3-year-olds debuted in 1954. Its first winner was Determine, a California-bred horse who won the Kentucky Derby three weeks later.
- Bay Meadows race track remained open during World War II. In fact, the track was able to generate more than $4 million for War Relief Projects.
- Famous jockeys who have raced and called Bay Meadows race track home include Bill Shoemaker, John Longden, Ralph Neves and Russell Baze.